Saturday 27 February 2016

February 19th -last day in Siem Reap

Kurtis and Sharon left about 9am. They were taking the bus to Phnom Penh. As soon as they left I got my Tuk-tuk driver to take me to some of the remaining temples that I hadn't seen. On the ride there I saw more monkeys and at least 10 elephants. I walked until I  was played out and return to Siem Reap for lunch. 




I walked the Terrace of Elephants and Terrace of the Leper king each of which is over 350 meters of carvings on two sets of walls on each side. There is an inner and outer wall and between there are carvings on both sides in a narrow passageway. What was particularly nice this day was most people were exploring on the walls. Very few people ventured to the three temples behind the walls. It was cool, very little foliage on the ground with a tree top covering. It was an adventurous feeling. I explored Phimeanakas, Baphuon and a third that I forgot to record the name.












After lunch I joined the people at the shop/restaurant /bar/laundry/hotel next door. This place appears to do a little of everything, but nothing well. However it appears that a lot of the longer time tourists hang out here. So I sat with a volunteer teacher who has been in Cambodia for 6 years, 2 English school volunteers who have been here for 6 mths, and a few others that have been around for shorter time. We shared stories until it was time for me to go. Mr. Sat, the Tuk-tuk driver took me to the airport and seemed genuinely sorry that I was leaving. I enjoyed Siem Reap and hope I can return sometime. However I am looking forward to my China adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment